I am currently working on a Lead Configuration Manager job description and I thought I would share.
The Lead Configuration Manager is responsible establishing and maintaining the configuration management practice. This will require a seasoned
leader who has experience managing software configuration across a diverse
technological landscape. The Lead Configuration Manger will collaborate with multiple IT groups to establish and maintain industry standard processes that maximize productivity and deliver high quality releases into production. This position oversees revision control and the establishment of baselines. The Lead Configuration Manager will recommend and implement continuous process improvements. This role requires a strong blend of technical expertise with excellent communication skills with the ability to influence change.
The Lead Configuration Manager is responsible for defining and executing the software configuration management (CM) process for all IT projects. (S)he will continue CM support throughout the application life cycle. Responsibilities include:
- This role will establish the strategic direction and corporate guidelines for CM best practices.
- Responsible for managing a complex build, deploy, and source control environment.
- Coach and lead development teams to produce clean, maintainable code which follow industry best practices.
- Collaborate with development to troubleshoot and quickly resolve build errors.
- Automate build processes in order to increase operational efficiency and reduce human errors.
- Manage and maintain baseline plans and roll-out plans. Take part in the Release Management process in collaboration with the Project Manager and IT leadership.
- Collaborate with vendors and suppliers ensuring coordination between applications where shared configuration is required.
- Develop and maintain the Configuration Management Database (CMDB).
- Maintain traceability capability of all current and historical data relative to each configuration item throughout its life cycle.
- Generate required monthly status reports, technical reports, progress reports, briefings, and demonstrations.
- Manage/technical related deliverables and administrative support.
- Perform CM audits as planned in application/project plans and report on CM status.
- Collaborate with the project manager, application architect and lead developer in leading configuration management setup, integration strategy, deployment strategy, and Go/No-go decisions.
- Establish configuration management tasks. Delegate and track these tasks across project teams.
- In the context of projects, the configuration manager will also be expected to play a key contributing role in the maintenance & customization of automated procedures (e.g. development & maintenance of deployment scripts as required).
- Use approved CM tools to store, track and manage configuration items.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Fifteen or more years’ IT experience.
- Ten or more years’ experience in a team IT environment with configuration management/control responsibilities.
- Software configuration manager Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Experience implementing ITIL Configuration Management and Release Management.