Why are ISTQB Software Testing Certifications Important?
I firmly believe that ISTQB Software Testing Certifications are extremely important. As both a QA professional and QA hiring manager they are tools I have used to both learn more and evaluate future and current employees. As a hiring manager, it shows me that individuals are willing to invest time and effort and are committed to the software testing profession. I know the effort and commitment that it takes personally since I have two ISTQB certifications currently. If I have to evaluate two candidates who have a similar background, but one has an ISTQB test certification, that will usually be the separating factor with my hiring process.
ISTQB Software Testing Certifications
There are several ISTQB software testing certifications. The nice thing I like about ISTQB, is that they do an excellent job about laying out the different types of software testing certifications and the paths to go from the basic ISTQB Foundation level certification to the ISTQB Expert Test Manager certification. Here is more details about the specific software testing certifications:
- ISTQB Foundation Level: The Foundation Level qualification is aimed at professionals who need to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts of software testing. This includes people in roles such as test designers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and IT Professionals. The Foundation Level qualification is also appropriate for anyone who needs a basic understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors and management consultants.
- ISTQB Agile Tester Extension: Agile testing is a relatively new approach to software testing that follows the principles of agile software development as outlined in the Agile Manifesto. A tester on an Agile project will work differently than one working on a traditional project. Testers must understand the values and principles that underpin Agile projects, and how testers are an integral part of a whole-team approach together with developers and business representatives. There is a lot of confusion concerning agile testing – which means there’s an educational opportunity as well. The Agile Extension will give the tester the knowledge to be part of agile testing teams and achieve high performance.
- ISTQB Model Based Tester Extension: Model-based testing is an innovative test approach to improve effectivity and efficiency of the test process. A model-based tester on a project uses models to drive test analysis and design, and keeps advantage of the models for other testing activities such as test implementation and reporting.ISTQB® Model-Based Tester certification complements the core foundation level as a specialist module. It provides a practical and easy entry to the MBT approach.
- ISTQB Advanced Level: The Advanced Level qualification is aimed at people who have achieved an advanced point in their careers in software testing. This includes people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers. This Advanced Level qualification is also appropriate for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors and management consultants. To receive Advanced Level certification, candidates must hold the Foundation Certificate and satisfy the Exam Board which examines them that they have sufficient practical experience to be considered Advanced Level qualified.
- ISTQB Expert Level: The Expert Level extends the knowledge and experience obtained at the Advanced Level by providing in-depth, practically-oriented certifications in a range of different testing subjects. With Expert Level ISTQB® offers career paths for testers with clearly defined business outcomes.
Hopefully this information on ISTQB Software Testing Certifications has been helpful. Please consider taking one or many of these certifications to help you land to increase your career opportunities or land your next dream job.
[…] a lot. Is a software test certification worthwhile. My answer is simply yes. I have two ISTQB software testing certifications, and I am glad I have them. While it is often not required, it does help. It takes money, time, […]